Thursday 16 July 2009

WEEK IN TV AND FILM: Tuesday


On Tuesday night BBC 2 aired Freefall, the 90 minute drama that attempted to reflect the impact of the economic crisis. The show included viewpoints from three different perspectives, the executive banker, the financial adviser and the working class man.

From all the publicity the programme had received I didn’t realise that it was only a one off. Mainly I was enticed by the programme as it starred Dominic Cooper who you may recognise from rolling around on the beach in Mamma Mia and Girls Aloud’s Sarah Harding who you many recognise from rolling around in front of a club with her legs open . . . I jest.

Dominic was looking sensationally sexy as a charismatic suited financial adviser trying to con people into getting mortgages that they wouldn’t be able to avoid. Sarah Harding was believable as his attractive blonde girlfriend.

The programme had a documentary style with over the shoulder shots and extreme close-ups that gave a tense feeling adding to the fact that you already knew that everything was going to go wrong. I preferred Dominic’s storyline to the executive banker’s who talked business jargon while Dominic and his colleague played by Alfie Allen were out on the pull.

I was loosing interest in the banker’s scenes until he started pleasuring himself in the toilet after a successful business deal which was awkward as I was watching with my parents.... uncomfortable!

Everyone got a bit steamy (not my parents) then and we got a shot of Dominic’s body as he woke up with two naked girls on his chest. Dominic then broke up with Sarah Harding who didn’t return again after a small dramatic performance. The banker showed a glimpse of his human side meeting up with his sarky teenage daughter and Dominic became increasingly more horrible scamming old school friend Jim.

Everything got pretty depressing then as we knew it would as the market collapsed putting everyone in the shit. The story however mainly focused on Jim and his family struggling to pay their mortgage mainly because we had started to care about this real family over the heartless suits. Things went from bad to worse when Jim lost his job they had to have their house repossessed. The banker broke down and ended up jumping off a bridge, so hardly a feel good drama then. The end showed Dominic using his charming ways to sell solar energy showing that you can’t keep some people down- bastard. I was suprised at how much I enjoyed this actually, considering that it sounded like a right snooze fest at first. Also, a great performance from Dominic, much better than his singing!

After all that depression I cheered myself up by watching Dream Girls, that film just makes me want to get all feisty "Mmm mmm guurrrl!" and start belting some tunes. I looked like a mad woman bobbing my head around and clenching my fists. Good grief that Jennifer Hudson has some pipes and Beyonce is also fabulous. (More to come on this in my next post!)

Guuuurrrrrrrrrrl!

1 comment:

  1. I love dream girls! 'I'm leaving yo' ass!' haha. xxx

    ReplyDelete